The rules of baccarat
In an online casino your only opponent at Baccarat the banker. The aim is to get as close as possible to the 9 points. Baccarat is being played according to a standard protocol. Especially the rules about drawing a 3rd card are clearly documented in this protocol. The count is as follows:
- Ace = 1 point
- 2-9 = Each card represents his own value
- K-Q-J-10 = each has a value of 0
In the case you draw 2 cards which together make 10 to 18 points, you always subtract 10 points. For example you draw a 7 and an 8, together this is 15. You subtract 10 points and the result you have on your hand is 5 points.
Baccarat begins with placing your bet. There are 3 possibilities:
- bet on the banker (banco)
- bet on the player (punto)
- bet on Tie
Always check the website of the online casino at which you are playing to see what the minimum and maximum bets are.
After placing the bets, the dealer/banker will divide the cards. Every participant receives 2 cards. You can only see your own cards. It is called a ‘natural’ if either you or the banker has 8 or 9 points. The game is won by the person who has a natural. If you both have a natural then the player with the highest card wins, 9 always beats an 8. But in the case that both of you have the same points then it is called a Tie.
If none of you has an 8 or a 9 the game continuous and a third card will be drawn. To make things a little more clearly we made an overview of the possibilities for you:
- If the first 2 cards make a total of 6 or 7 you always pass
- If the total of the first 2 cards is 5 or lower you hit a 3rd card
- If the player does not hit a 3rd card, the banker may only hit a card if his/her total is equal to or lower then 5 poin
If the case the player does hit a 3rd card, the banker only hits a 3rd card in the following circumstances:
- The total points of the cards of the banker are lower then 2
- The total points of the cards of the banker is 3 and the 3rd card of the player is not 8
- The total points of the cards of the banker is 4 and the 3rd card of the player is not 0/1/8/9
- The total points of the cards of the banker is 5 and the 3rd card of the player is 4/5/6/7
- The total points of the cards of the banker is 6 and the 3rd card of the player is 6/7
- If the banker has a total of 7 or higher the banker will pass
Play Online baccarat
A few internet casinos offer a fair game of baccarat. You can find our recommendations on the right side of this page and below.