Roulette- rules of the game
Roulette is being played on a table. Inside that table you will find a roulette wheel in which a small ball will be rotated. On the table you will also find layout with all numbers and possibilities you can bet on.
Roulette is being played against the bank/dealer. Before the dealer spins the roulette wheel you can place your bet on a number, or several numbers, a column or a color. Then the dealer will start to spin the wheel in one direction and the ball in the other direction. Before the ball will fall into one of the pockets the dealer will call ‘no more bets’ after which you are not allowed to touch your bet. The pocket in which the ball ends will determine if you won or not.
There are different kinds of bets possible each represented by a different profit. There are the inside bets, bets placed inside the layout. And the outside bets, placed on the outside of the layout on the table.
The inside bets usually represent a higher payout percentage because they happen less often.
Differences in roulette types
Bets are the same for European and American Roulette. The only thing is that with American Roulette there is an extra pocket, 00. This means that there are more pockets which reduces the chance to win slightly. Minimum and maximum bets are different per online casino, therefore, always check the website of the online casino where you want to play to see what their minimum and maximum is.
We will discuss now the most standard bets. The names of the bets can vary from one online casino to the next. We recommend you to always check the rules of the game page on the online casino. Some casinos also have some more different possible bets.
- Single/Straight: you bet on 1 number. Pay out, 35-1
- Split: You bet on 2 numbers by placing your chip on the line between two numbers. Pay out, 17-1
- Trio: You bet on three numbers at one time by placing your chip on the crossing between 3 numbers. Pay out, 11-1
- Corner: You place your bet on 4 numbers at the same time. Pay out, 8-1
- Street: You place your bet on a row of 3 numbers by placing your chip at the bottom of the row. Pay out, 11-1
- Line: You place your bet on 2 streets (lines) of numbers next to each other. You can do this by placing your chip at the bottom of the streets on the line between the 2 streets. Pay out, 5-1
- Dozen: You bet on 12 numbers at once; the first 12, the second 12 or the third 12. Pay out,2-1
- Column: You bet on 12 numbers within one column. Pay out, 2-1
- High/Low: You place your bet on the high numbers (19-36) or the low numbers (1-18). Pay out, 1-1
- Red/Black: You place your bet on red or black. Pay out, 1-1
- Even/Odd: You place your bet on even or odd numbers. Pay out,1-1
There are some rules which do not often occur within online casinos. We will discuss them briefly so that you at least heard of them in case you come across them.
- ‘En prison rule’: if the ball falls in the pocket of the number 0 you have the chance to collect your bet or leave it for the next round.
- ‘La partage rule’: this rule looks like the ‘en prison rule’ with the difference that you will loose your bet and may not leave it for the next round. It is applicable on the outside bets, if the outcome is 0.
Next to the regular roulette competitions, some online casinos offer you the opportunity to play progressive competitions. These progressive roulette competitions have a central jackpot which increases rapidly because extra money is placed in this jackpot with every bet done. If this jackpot pays out the amount can be very high!